[ltp] Cisco Aironet 350 Mini PCI on an R40 running SuSE 9

Ivarsson, Torbjorn (T) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:29:40 -0600

I have had success in getting my card to work using the airo_mpi driver. Using Mandrake 9.2 on an R40 2722, this is what I did:

- Install the airo_mpi driver (of course...)
- In /etc/modules.conf add the line
	alias eth1 airo_mpi
  so that the driver loads up at reboot.
- I don't load the network-interface (eth1) at boot, instead I type (script):
	ifconfig eth1 up
	iwconfig eth1 essid 'my_essid'
	dhclient

The dhclient is run so that I can obtain an IP address. I've noticed that sometimes the ESSID reverts back to some default value ('tsunami'), or the strongest network around. It may work (or so it appears to me sometimes, though I cannot prove it 'scientifically') if you do the command:
	iwconfig eth1 commit

The problem I currently have is that once I have the card up and running, the firewall poses some challenge... So now I'm going to learn iptables... :)

HTH,
T.