[ltp] Kernel 2.6.0 on t40

Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:31:21 +0000 (GMT)

Installed 2.6 final on my T40 last night, and have two problems: if
anyone could shed any light...?

1. I use the touchpad, not the trackpoint, but when enabled in the
BIOS, the 2.6 kernel panics right after start:

input: SynPS/2 Synaptics Touchpad on csa0060/serio1
serio: Synaptics pass-through port at isa0060/serio1/input0
Unable to handle kernel paging request at cirtual address f721ce76
printing eip:
c02b3627
*pde = 004c1067
Oops: 0000 [#1]
CPU: 0
EIP: 0060:[<c02b3627>]  Not tainted
EFLAGS: 000010202
EIP is at synaptics_pt_init+0xb7/0x110

When I disable the touchpad, it boots ok (but without it!).  Adding
the kernel option (psmouse_ext) at boot time doesn't help.

2. I don't really understand suspend/resume with ACPI: by default
2.6 starts acpid, and I read all sorts of stuff about swsusp being in
the kernel now (but I can't echo into /proc/acpi/sleep as documented
in various places as the way to put the machine to sleep), and in
other places I'm told to echo into /sys/power/state to invoke sleep,
suspend-to-ram etc, which again I can't do.  I'm booting with the
resume=/dev/hda7 where hda7 is my swap partition.  Standard keys like
Fn-F4 and lid closure are recognised by acpid as events (as shown in
/var/log/acpid) but there are no actions such as the above defined
so nothing happens.  Is this supposed to work yet?

I can of course boot with acpi=off apm=on, but suspend appears
unpredictable then, and cpudynd refuses to start because it can't find
cpufreq in the kernel (have module speedstep-centrino installed).
I'm using a stock beta kernel from someone at Red Hat for Fedora,
and because experimenting am not inclined to build my own just now.
Anyway I'd rather use ACPI because using APM in 2.6 seems a bit like
using a plane to fly a kite.

Any hints received with gratitude.  I should add that I've never done
any BIOS upgrades since I received the machine.  Would this
help/hinder?