[ltp] windows won't boot on dual boot T40

Aaron Mulder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:21:48 -0500 (EST)

	If you run the recovery CDs, they'll:

 - delete the first hard drive partition

 - select the first contiguous block of unpartitioned space (e.g. the
newly-deleted partition plus any free space formerly after it)

 - format that as a new C: drive and install to it

	However, if the recovery CDs don't think there's enough disk
space, they'll use some funky disk compression routine, which screws up
the entire Windows install (important hardware drivers refuse to load,
etc.).  IIRC, you need at least 8GB to get a "clean" Windows install, and
10GB is probably safer.  So I think, based on your partitioning below,
that this is not an option for you.
	Note that the Windows install key on the bottom of your machine
won't work with a retail or MSDN Windows XP install CD, but it works
perfectly with a Dell Windows XP install CD.  If you install from a Dell
CD, 3GB is plenty, and you can download all the drivers and most if not
all of the pre-installed software from the IBM web site (the NIC works
with the basic XP install).

	All that aside, try fixing your boot flags and MBR as others have
suggested before you go this far.  :)

Aaron