[ltp] FN+F4 & APMD?

Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:57:23 +0200

--H+4ONPRPur6+Ovig

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 08:30:35PM +0100, Andr=E9 Wyrwa wrote:
>  ...from what i found out now, my problem was that i had AC power online
> AND a pcmcia card in use.

(My old ThinkPad 755CD refused to suspend if a network/modem PCMCIA card
was inserted.  The manual mentioned that.)

> I found several sources which tell the same story:
> When using apm --suspend, apm signals to apmd which calls apmd_proxy and
> after that finishes calls kernel apm to suspend.
> When using Fn+F4 or tpctl -Z apmd shouldn't even be called, because both
> signal the bios directly which acts before apmd has a chance to react at
> all.

That does not match my understanding of how things work.  Fn+F4
definitely signals apmd, and waits for it.  If I plug out a network
cable without unmounting a networked FS, and then hit Fn+F4, the suspend
pauses for 30 seconds, and I later on I can see messages in syslog about
apmd killing apmd_call_proxy after a timeout.  I commented out a couple of
'sleep 1' lines in some apm.d scripts to make suspends faster.
If I boot a kernel without APM support, Fn+F4 just does nothing at all.

> The problem on my side was now that the bios for some reason rejects a
> suspend, when both a pcmcia card and AC power are in place.

Strange.  I think I had an old 10Mbit 16-bit PCMCIA netcard somewhere.
Perhaps I'll give it a try.  I seem to remember that suspending with a
802.11b CardBus card worked fine.  I do not remember if the laptop was
on AC power at the time.

> I wonder that apmd reacts on the Fn+F4 press on your machine.?.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
"If we were meant to fly, we wouldn't keep losing our luggage."

--H+4ONPRPur6+Ovig

--H+4ONPRPur6+Ovig--