[ltp] thinkpad modules for Linux 2.6 -- trial version available

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:01:13 +0000 (GMT)

> I don't think you should strip out the devfs code.
> there are many reasons against it: most distribution still run
> (and will run) with devfs, not udev. it will probably take a year
> or longer until everyone has switched.

I have been told that only Gentoo standardly uses devfs.  Other distros
standardly use a static /dev/ directory.  I believe that udev is a
yet-to-be-finished system that implements dynamic dev node creation and
deletion.

The reason for stripping out the devfs code is that it causes the compiler
errors that you encountered.  This is because the particular devfs
functions used in the drivers were stripped out of the kernel.

BTW, thanks for the bug report.

--
Thomas

=====