[ltp] Network - 2 ethernet cards instead of a hub

Chun-Yu Shei linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:40:17 -0500

Richard Neill wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Sorry if this appears to be a stupid question. I know it's not precisely
> thinkpad related. I've tried google, but I don't know the correct term
> for what I'm trying to do, so I don't know what to search for. Any
> pointers would be wonderful!
>
> Basically, I have 2 computers, one of which is my new thinkpad and which
> has 2 ethernet cards. We are on a network, and I want to avoid buying an
> extra switch/hub. I want to wire up the computers thus:
>
> ....network-----[eth0-NewTPad-eth1]--Xovercable--[eth0-OldTPad]
>

> instead of
>
>     ....network------HUB----------[eth0-NewTPad]
>                         \----------[eth0-OldTPad]
>

> Both the old and new TPad should be visible throughout the network
> (192.168.0.*) and should obtain their IP addresses from a central DHCP
> machine which is also the internet gateway. (I'm assuming eth1 on
> NewTPad must be static)
>
> As far as I can tell, this isn't "internet connection sharing" (I'm not
> trying to do IP masquerading), and it's not "ethernet bridging" because
> I want the bridge machine (NewTPad) to be connected itself via the
> bridge. (i.e.
> brctl addbr br0
> brctl addif br0 eth0
> brctl br0 addif eth1
> ins't sufficient because the NewTpad cannot then use eth0 for itself)
>

> Thanks for your help - I'm stumped!
>
> Best wishes, and a happy New Year!
>
> Richard
>

> P.S. All the hardware is working for "normal" network use.

I don't know about your main problem, but I'd just like to point out
that the Intel gigabit NIC in newer ThinkPads (if your new one happens
to have it) is autosensing so no crossover cable is needed.

- Chun-Yu