[ltp] APM on R40e

Ari Saptawijaya linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 07:40:51 -0800 (PST)

--0-937003466-1072798851=:51718

Hi,

I also have R40e (with German keyboard as well). As far as i know, BIOS of this laptop does not support APM, only ACPI is supported. I tried so far some distributions on my laptop:
- SuSE 8.2 (Installation with ACPI support): I can see the battery status and the laptop shutdown by itself (without pressing the power button manually). I forgot about the buttons combinations for brightness and volume (but as far as i remember, they work as well). The bad thing (this is my experience): when I tried to boot the machine, sometime it may boot properly, but sometime it was hanging, and I should boot it once more to make it work.
- SuSE 9: Installation with ACPI did not work, installation without ACPI worked but you have to manually switch the power button off when you shutdown the machine (and no battery status). I'm not happy with this. I think those button combinations for brightness and volume work.
- Fedora Core 1: a similar experience as SuSE 9. But in my opinion this distro is easier to configure rather than SuSE (maybe this is just a matter of taste :P)

A few weeks ago, I also posted a similar question to this mailing list, and I got a response (from Marc Schoechlin) that ACPI work in his system (without thermal and processor modules) using kernel 2.6 of Debian distro.

Now I installed Knoppix 3.3 (which is Debian based) using kernel 2.4.22 into my system. Originally, no ACPI was there, but those buttons (brightness, LCD off, volume) work well (since tpctl module is included there).
Fortunately, I got this website (Thanks Kano!):
http://kano.mipooh.net/
which include a script for Knoppix to install ACPI (and update the kernel to 2.4.23) and now ACPI works in my system (without thermal and processor modules) :)
It can shutdown properly, and the battery status is there. Unfortunately, those special buttons do not work anymore (though tpctl module is still there and it is started at the boot time -- in the meantime I am working with it, and also post this problem to this mailing list).

I read that this laptop is also Turbolinux 10 Desktop-friendly, you can check it here:
http://www.turbolinux.co.jp/support/tech/compatibility/hwdetect/10.html#6

Mfg,
Ari

spacephreak <eliminater@gmx.de> wrote:
Hi
Can me somebody help, how i can add a battery status, the function
brightness(fn+pos1/end), and lcd on/off(fn+f7) (german keyboard)
the other function are not so very inportant for me.i have found a few
sites for r40, but it dosn't work.
with the 2.6 kernel i have only problems so a 2.4.* kernel would be
better.
A".config" file is a second posibility
thanks in advance

mfg
markus sch.

--0-937003466-1072798851=:51718

<DIV>
<DIV>Hi,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I&nbsp;also&nbsp;have R40e (with German keyboard as well). As far as i know, BIOS of this laptop does not support APM, only ACPI is supported. I tried so far some distributions on my laptop:</DIV>
<DIV>- SuSE 8.2 (Installation with ACPI support): I can see the battery status and the laptop shutdown by itself (without pressing the power button manually). I forgot about the buttons combinations for brightness and volume (but&nbsp;as&nbsp;far as i remember,&nbsp;they work as well). The bad thing (this is my experience): when I tried to boot the machine, sometime it may boot properly, but sometime it was hanging, and I should boot it once more to make it work.</DIV>
<DIV>- SuSE 9: Installation with ACPI did not work, installation without ACPI worked but you have to manually switch the power button off when you shutdown the machine (and no battery status).&nbsp;I'm not happy with this. I think those button combinations for brightness and volume work.</DIV>
<DIV>- Fedora Core 1:&nbsp;a similar&nbsp;experience as SuSE 9.&nbsp;But in&nbsp;my opinion this distro is easier to configure rather than SuSE (maybe this is just a matter of taste :P)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>A few weeks ago,&nbsp;I also posted a similar question to this mailing list, and I got a response (from Marc Schoechlin) that ACPI work in his system (without thermal and processor modules) using kernel 2.6 of Debian distro.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Now I installed Knoppix 3.3 (which is Debian based) using kernel 2.4.22 into my system. Originally, no ACPI was there, but those buttons (brightness, LCD off, volume) work well (since tpctl module is included there).</DIV>
<DIV>Fortunately, I got this website (Thanks Kano!):</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://kano.mipooh.net/" target=_blank>http://kano.mipooh.net/</A></DIV>
<DIV>which include a script for Knoppix to install ACPI (and update the kernel to 2.4.23) and now ACPI works in my system (without thermal and processor modules) :)</DIV>
<DIV>It can shutdown properly, and the battery status is there. Unfortunately, those special buttons do not work anymore (though tpctl module is still there and it is started at the boot time -- in the meantime I am working with it, and also post this problem to this mailing list).</DIV>
<DIV><BR>I read that this laptop is also Turbolinux 10 Desktop-friendly, you can check it here:</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://www.turbolinux.co.jp/support/tech/compatibility/hwdetect/10.html#6">http://www.turbolinux.co.jp/support/tech/compatibility/hwdetect/10.html#6</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Mfg,</DIV>
<DIV>Ari</DIV>
<DIV><BR><B><I>spacephreak &lt;eliminater@gmx.de&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Hi<BR>Can me somebody help, how i can add a battery status, the function<BR>brightness(fn+pos1/end), and lcd on/off(fn+f7) (german keyboard)<BR>the other function are not so very inportant for me.i have found a few<BR>sites for r40, but it dosn't work. <BR>with the 2.6 kernel i have only problems so a 2.4.* kernel would be<BR>better.<BR>A".config" file is a second posibility<BR>thanks in advance<BR><BR>mfg <BR>markus sch.<BR><BR><BR>-- <BR>The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<BR>http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad</BLOCKQUOTE></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
</a>
--0-937003466-1072798851=:51718--