[ltp] Suggested models?

Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:04:49 +0100

Hi,

> And remember that 'good' or 'bad' is time-variant, as driver development
> catches up to hardware development.  For that reason, you may be better
> off not getting the latest hardware.  Also, slightly older models tend to
> be cheaper.. :^>

Although this is good wisdom in general, it's only partially true for
Thinkpads.

AFAIK almost all Thinkpads up to the T2x series have builtin graphics
adapters that are not fully supported by Xfree86, whereas on newer
models with radeon chips DRI and Dualview and native framebuffer are
supported, although the drivers are still in development.

(I'm wondering about the TP240X, which should have a Silicon Motion
Lynx, that is AFAIK the only card that supports hw accel. and screen
rotation at the same time?)

The same goes for ACPI support. It seems to be mostly working on models
starting from the T3x generation. And i don't believe in significant
bios updates coming for the older models to fix this - while of course
over time maybe the linux kernel acpi drivers may get along with those
bioses.

And did anyone experience sound problems with T3x or T4x models? With
the T23 you will have only crappy sound support, while you'll be happy
with the chips built into the T20 through T22 models.

Andre.