[ltp] mplayer & sound

Gustavo Halperin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:35:59 +0200

Fritsch wrote:

> Gustavo Halperin wrote:
>
>> Hello List
>>
>>   My 'mplayer' can't open the audio (or/and dsp) device when I run it
>> like
>> user.  I added the user in the audio group (in file /etc/group), also
>> the
>> 'xmms' and other audio applications haven't problem with audio devices
>> like simple user. But 'mplayer' only can open this device like root.
>>  Any idea why it is happen??
>> By the way, I'm using Debian woody and the device intel i810 together
>> with the NAS audio server.
>>   Thank you.
>

> I think your Audio Server is perhaps blocking your Oss driver which
> mplayer normally uses, it`s perhaps like using kde arts and trying to
> start some audio applications before the server timed out.

 I don't understand you. I mean the 'mplayer' use the same devices like
'xmms' (/dev/dsp or/and /dev/audio)
and 'xmms' have NOT problem. Also 'mplayer' have not problem like root.
The problem is  'mplayer' like user.
 But I don't understand why, because 'xmms' like user work OK.
  I guest that there are some where some problems of permissions, but
where ???

--
Regards.
gustavo halperin