[ltp] mplayer & sound

Gustavo Halperin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:32:04 +0200

André Wyrwa wrote:

>Hi,
>

>> I don't understand you. I mean the 'mplayer' use the same devices like
>>'xmms' (/dev/dsp or/and /dev/audio)
>>and 'xmms' have NOT problem. Also 'mplayer' have not problem like root.
>>The problem is  'mplayer' like user.
>> But I don't understand why, because 'xmms' like user work OK.
>>  I guest that there are some where some problems of permissions, but
>>where ???
>>

>Are you using ALSA or kernel builtin drivers?

Kernel builtin drives (i810).

>What output plugin does XMMS use?

/dev/dsp.  and work OK for root and common users.

>What's returned by ls -al /dev/dsp?

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     audio           9 Dec 24 20:15 /dev/dsp ->
/dev/dsp0
and also I added my user in audio users, see a line from a file /etc/group:
     audio:x:29:someuser

>Did you try mplayer -ao nas <file_you_wanna_play>? (Works great for me.)

This doesn't work, even like root. But I think that it is doesn't needed
because 'nas' is
transparent to the users. I define two variable in the file
'.bash_profile':
        AUDIOSERVER=tcp/localhost:8000
        LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/audiooss/libaudiooss.so
(obvious export theme from the file: export AUDIOSERVER LD_PRELOAD)
and then use the /dev/dsp like always without take care any more about
'nas'.
  You agree ??.

--
Regards.