[ltp] 802.11b cards

Dimitris Kogias linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 09:31:46 -0800

Is it a V1/V2 or V3?  They changed the chipset on the V3 card to an
Atmel one.  I had trouble getting it to work under 2.4 kernels as the
driver is not bundled, at least from kernel.org.  2.6 has it though.
However, IIRC you'll need to get the firmware file separately and set up
the interface so that it loads it when the module is loaded, because
this chipset requires the firmware to be loaded each time the card is
initialized by the driver.  Then again, I run Debian, other distros may
have bundled the firmware file and/or the driver for 2.4.

Another thing:  I use the 2632W on my "gateway" machine (an old
Thinkpad).  My "main" machine uses a Cisco mini-pci 350 which talks to
the SMC in adhoc mode.  Occasionally (about once a day) they stop
communicating, with the Cisco card reporting there's no signal.  This
can only be fixed by cycling the SMC card (ifdown/ifup).  I haven't
tried to find out why it's happening and it may be a problem with the
Cisco card/driver, but thought I should mention it.  YMMV of course.

D.