[ltp] A20p (r128 mobility 3M) XF86 4.1 S/Video -> SCART TV success

Vivek linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 18:29:17 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Tod Harter wrote:

> Forgive me if I reveal a certain degree of Ignorance about rebuilding X. The
> one or two times I've had a reason to try to do so were miserable failures...
> Wish me luck on this attempt!

Free advice: X's build system is moderately labyrinthine. If you don't
mind the wait, I'd do the following:

Unpack and compile X. Takes 80 Mins on my Dual PII 333Mhz box w. 512Mb.

Find the r128_driver.c file.

Take a back up copy. Somewhere outside the build tree.

Patch it.

In the directory that the r128_driver.c file was in, type 'make'.
This will rebuild r128_drv.o

Now take the r128_drv.o file and install it where your current
r128_drv.o is ( take a copy of your old one just in case ).

There may be ways to short circuit a lot of the X build, but you'd
have to be wiser in the ways of X by far than I am ( possibly this
isn't much of a target to aim for ) to attempt them.