[ltp] Re: Newbie again -- mwame modem in Thinkpad 600

Angel de Vicente linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 21:29:59 -0000

Hi,

after solving satisfactorily (I think) the audio issue, I tried to get
connected to the Internet via modem.

I did follow the instructions in the page
http://www-124.ibm.com/acpmodem/mwave.html
and I thought everything would be fine, but ...

Ok, everything did compile fine, and I use the mwaved startup script as
follows:

> mwaved start

and I get

> Starting mwave modem:
     Starting mwave manager OK
     Configuring serial port (/dev/ttyS1) OK

Then I do:

> setserial /dev/ttyS1 autoconfig

to which I get nothing, but then I check the port with

> setserial /dev/ttyS1

to which I get

> /dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3

Everything seems fine.

I use the Internet Configuration Wizard, and create a Network connection by
entering the following arguments:

Modem connection
Phone number
Provider name
Login name
Password

Now, when I go to Network Configuration, and I select the network
configuration and I click on Activate I get the message:

"Activating network device ppp0, please wait" and after a while "Cannot
activate network device ppp0"

The truth is that I don't know where it fails. I get the same error message
when inserting a cable in the modem as when the computer is off-line. The
modem does not make any sound, so I don't even know if the modem is working.
Any help? Any detailed step-by-step info out there on how to get this
working?

Thanks a lot,
Angel de Vicente

Angel de Vicente