[ltp] Newbie w/ T30 & Wi-Fi -- which distro?

Anthony Gee linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 07 Feb 2003 01:14:14 -0800

--=======20D84F82=======

Hi.. new here, anyways I have a T30 2366-B2U coming in very shortly... and
want to explore Linux with it. I plan to just use Partition Magic and
shrink the main partition down and install Linux...
My only concern is with the hardware. I really want my integrated wi-fi to
work (I noticed T30s came with either the Intel 802.11b or Cisco Aironet --
mine having the Intel). Is there a difference between the two (if so, which
ones better or worse)? I'm not trying to do anything fancy, so I guess as
long as it has support under Linux I should be okay. Lastly, which
distribution should I use? I think I either want to use Red Hat 8 or
Mandrake 9. My only extent of Linux knowledge is doing a few kernel
projects under Mandrake 8.1 for an OS class. I hope to learn Linux better
so in the future it will perhaps help me land a job... any advice from you
gurus??

Thanks,
Anthony