[ltp] Thinkpad 600 and Internet connection?

Angel de Vicente linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:24:33 +0000

Hi all,

after fighting for a while wiht it, I managed to get a decent connection
in the end. I didn't take notes of the settings/ etc. (and I write this
from memory) but more or less this is what I did. Just in case it could
be useful to anyone.

I installed the mwave stuff as directed from the IBM web page (except
that I didn't put the --enable stuff in the ./configure step as
recommended in there. Somehow that created problems..)

As root (otherwise I got errors) I executed:

mwaved start
mwavem
setserial /dev/ttyS1 autoconfig

and then

mwaved restart (I read somewhere that this might be a problem, and I
think it was the crucial bit for me).

Then I tried to use the Internet Configuration Wizard (I'm using RedHat
8.0 with KDE), to create a Network device. The device is created, but
when I try to activate it, it complains that it cannot open the device,
or some other problem. I leave it like that, and then I open Kppp

I put all the settings for my Internet provider and select Connect.

Well, it all seems to work now, it finds the modem, it dials out, and
(despite a small complaint about not finding ppp0, well, it connects
beautifully!)

If you think you have a similar problem, let me know, and I could give
some proper details of the settings, etc.

Now I have to fight with the Ethernet card.... :-)

Angel de Vicente

--
http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/~angelv

Agente de Empleo y Desarrollo Local