[Thinkpad] Re: [ltp] T21 freezes

Manolis Stamatogiannakis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 01:17:17 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Vivek wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Manolis Stamatogiannakis wrote:
>
> [random freezes]
> > Has anybody experienced similar problems? Could the problem be
> > some linux kernel paramer or some bad settings in X configuration
> > file?
>
> Kernel configuration? Distribution? Versions of both? APM or ACPI?
> Did you compile your own kernel or install an out of the box one?
> You say it freezes in both OSes : Is there a BIOS upgrade for your
> laptop?

Hi again, and thanks for all the answers.

I am running gentoo linux, kernel 2.4.19 with gentoo patches, APM.
I compiled the kernel. I have installed the latest BIOS update.

Thinking again of it, I think that the frequency of crashes in win2k
was reduced after installing the BIOS update ~a month ago.

On linux I was using the "savage" driver for X windows (in XF86Config).
I changed it to "vesa" driver and it looks more stable now (although
slower). But I need to use the TP for a few days to be sure that I got it
right. :)

Does anybody kow what is the driver I shall use for X? IIRC my graphics
card is S3 Savage IX.

I will give a look on the memory tests on the weekend too (just in case).

Thanks,
Manolis