[ltp] Resize NTFS Partition?

Bjorn Knutsson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 01:06:18 -0500

On 20 Feb 2003 00:05, Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:
> Is there a utility that can shrink an NTFS partition safely? Can I install RH on a
> T30 (236652U) and keep the factory install of W2K but squish it down to 15Gigs?

No free software that I know of, but Partition Magic can.

Plan B is nuking your W2K, kill the first partition, re-create it at
the size you want, and recover your system from recovery partition or
CDs. I've done this with Win XP on my T23.

With XP, it actually installs the system using FAT, and then after
you've finished the installation, it pulls a fast one one you and
converts the partition to NTFS.

I decided that I preferred FAT, since that allows me to create a
hibernation file and hibernate from Linux, so when it rebooted the
last time before converting, I booted into Linux and pulled the rug
out from under the file system conversion, leaving me with the FAT
file system.

Incidentally, this also means I can now use FIPS if I want to resize
my windows partition again...

/Björn