[ltp] Re: Linux-Thinkpad digest, Vol 1 #21 - 30 msgs

Bob Toxen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:21:21 -0500

> From: "Allen, Michael B (RSCH)" <Michael_B_Allen@ml.com>
> To: "'linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org'" <linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org>
> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:05:24 -0500
> Subject: [ltp] Resize NTFS Partition?

> Is there a utility that can shrink an NTFS partition safely? Can I install
> RH on a T30 (236652U) and keep the factory install of W2K but squish it
> down to 15Gigs?

Yes, point your browser at the following and download the ZIP file.

     http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

You then copy utility file to a raw 3.5 inch floppy (cp *.zip /dev/fd0)
and boot the floppy.  The download is free; they do ask for about USD 35.

I used it to successfully shrink down my Windows NTFS partition to make
way for Linux (Slackeware 8.1).  It is GUI based and very easy to use.
After installing Linux and lilo, I did verify that I still can boot
Windows XP.

> Thanks,
> Mike

Bob Toxen,
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.
"Your expert in Firewalls, Virus and Spam Filters, VPNs,
Network Monitoring, and Network Security consulting"
bob@verysecurelinux.com (e-mail)
http://www.verysecurelinux.com       [Network & Linux/Unix Security Consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My 5* book: "Real World Linux Security"]
+1 770-662-8321  (Office)