[ltp] Resize NTFS Partition?

Bjorn Knutsson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:20:21 -0500

On 19 Feb 2003 23:32, James Mckenzie wrote:
> Bjorn:
>
> WindowsNT 4.0 + does this.  I don't know if Windows2000 does, but I know
> that XP installs as FAT then does the "switch" as we installed WindowsXP
> on a 'fresh' drive.  I don't know how to keep XP from doing the switch.

I do. It's in the the files used during the installation. I really
can't remember exactly where I found it, but as it turns out, the
process creates a file in the root directory and should that file
happen do "disappear" between re-boots, the conversion fails and the
rest of the installation proceeds normally.

I did the latter trick the first time around, and commented out the
commands the second time. The first approach was simpler and cleaner,
but of course requires you to have another OS to run while you pull
the rug out from under WinXPs installation process.

/Björn