[ltp] how to mount dvd?

Katsumi Matsumoto linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:39:29 -0500 (EST)

Apologies for a newbie question in advance.

I burned a DVD (4.3 GB of data) using an HP DVD writer (200e) connected to
a desktop PC running linux via USB.  I know I burned the data correctly,
because I can see the content of the DVD on a Mac running OSX.  However, I
am unable to mount it on my Thinkpad T30 running RH8.  (Windows XP running
on the same T30 in dual boot mode cannot recognize the DVD either).

My T30 has a CD-RW/DVD-R driver in its ultra bay.  The commands I issued
include:
"mount /mnt/cdrom"
"mount /dev/cdrom"
"mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom"

I get the same error message:
"mount: No medium found"

Am I suppose to do something differently for a DVD than CD?  Also, I am
puzzled as to why Windows XP couldn't see it, while Mac OSX could.  Can
anyon tell me why?

By the way, the image that I burned was created with:
mkisofs -R -J -o image filenames
So I think linux and windows should be able to read the DVD...

Thanks for any advise.
-Katsumi