[ltp] A21p power supply question

Pam Huntley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:06:43 -0500

Hey,  I didn't see a response to you so far, so I figured I'd give it a
stab.

Justin Banks <justinb@mr-boo.com> wrote:
>A friend of mine has an A21p, and recently another friend with an
>i-series asked him for some help with his keyboard. The guy with the A21
>plugged his power supply into the i-series, because it happened to be
handy,
>and proceeded to fix the keyboard problem. The problem now is that while
the
>A21 will run just fine on wall power, it doesn't seem to recharge the
battery
>at all anymore. Does anyone have any idea where to start figuring out WTF
>is going on here, or is it just time for a new P/S ?

So, I have some questions for you, just to clarify, you took the power
supply from the A21, plugged it into the i-series, and now it won't charge
up the A21 battery anymore?  Are you sure he walked off with the correct
power supply?  The power supplies for the i-series and the A21 are
different, the A21 requires more power than the i-series.  If he walked off
with the i-series power supply, there might not be enough juice to charge
the battery, although it would likely still run the computer.    The A21,
and most of the newer ThinkPads, use a 4.5 amp power supply, where as the
older ThinkPads (this includes most of the i-series, although not all) used
a 3.36 amp power supply.  The X-series uses a 3.5 amp power supply.

So check that out, that might be the problem.

Pam