[ltp] how to mount dvd?

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:11:51 +0200

--FkmkrVfFsRoUs1wW

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 05:39:29PM -0500, Katsumi Matsumoto wrote:
> Apologies for a newbie question in advance.
>=20
> I burned a DVD (4.3 GB of data) using an HP DVD writer (200e) connected t=
o=20
> a desktop PC running linux via USB.  I know I burned the data correctly,=
=20
> because I can see the content of the DVD on a Mac running OSX.  However, =
I=20
> am unable to mount it on my Thinkpad T30 running RH8.  (Windows XP runnin=
g=20
> on the same T30 in dual boot mode cannot recognize the DVD either).
>=20
> My T30 has a CD-RW/DVD-R driver in its ultra bay.  The commands I issued=
=20
> include:
> "mount /mnt/cdrom"=20
> "mount /dev/cdrom"
> "mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom"
>=20
> I get the same error message:
> "mount: No medium found"

It looks like your DVD drive did not recognize the disc.  Do you have
cdrecord installed on your notebook?  Can you check whether cdrecord
-toc finds a table of contents?  Can you mount it on the desktop where
you burned it?

> Am I suppose to do something differently for a DVD than CD?

No, not really.  Most DVDs contain a UDF filesystem instead of ISO9660,
but you can also have a UDF CD-R/CD-RW (writen in packet mode).  And you
can have a DVD containing ISO9660.

> By the way, the image that I burned was created with:
> mkisofs -R -J -o image filenames

So it's definitely ISO9660.  BTW what did you burn it with?

BTW I know nothing about DVD-Rs.  I'm assuming they resemble DVD-ROMs from
the software side just like CD-Rs resemble CD-ROMs.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Everything you read in newspapers is absolutely true, except for that
rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge.
                -- Erwin Knoll

--FkmkrVfFsRoUs1wW

--FkmkrVfFsRoUs1wW--