[ltp] hardware clock ??

Bjorn Knutsson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 03:30:39 -0500

On 2 Jan 2003 13:29, Dan Sawyer wrote:
> Thank you.
>
> The h/w clock runs while the system is up however it 'looses' a day or
> so during suspend.

That seems very strange. The hardware clock is just that - a clock
implemented in hardware, battery backed-up. It should run continously,
and they tend to be pretty exact - think cheap digital watch minus the
display and playing "Yellow Rose of Texas".

If you lose a day, there's something really messed up going on with
your hardware clock or your configuration. I'd start looking at the
latter. Perhaps your hardware clock is just set wrong? Then you'd want
to set the correct time on your system and set the hardware clock to
the current time.

> Do you know how to turn hibernation 'off'??

What do you mean, turn it off? I had quite a bit of trouble getting
hibernation to work with XP dual boot in the first place. ;-)

I think you said you had a 600, right? If you don't want hibernation,
I guess you can just turn that feature off in the BIOS or using tpctl.
If you want to reclaim the disk space in the Windows file system, I
think you need to remove the line in the startup file (which one
depends on your Windows version, I expect) and remove the hibernation
file.

/Björn