[ltp] kernel: memory.c:83: bad pmd

unlisted linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
04 Jan 2003 10:33:33 -0600

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 12:26, Vivek wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Jim Peden wrote:
> > Just last
> > night I started getting this error: "kernel: memory.c:83: bad pmd". Then
> > the I get a kernel panic and so on.
>
> Also, you can boot up the machine, shut down all the services you
> don't need (X, any databases or webservers, the network and so on),
> and see if you can get through 3 or 4 consecutive kernel compiles
> with "make -j 2 bzImage" w/o triggering a panic : If you can, it
> probably isn't a memory problem.

for future reference: memtest86 <http://www.memtest86.com>.

i can't personally testify as to how good of a tester it is because i've
never had bad memory for it to detect (crucial has been good to me), but
i've seen it recommended elsewhere and i use it whenever i get a new
stick of memory.  and for those of us religious zealots, it's GPLed. ;-)

anyways...
--

PLEASE REQUEST PERMISSION TO REDISTRIBUTE
   AUTHOR'S COMMENTS OR EMAIL ADDRESS.