[ltp] Installing linux, fear of lm_sensors

Jim Harvey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 04 Jan 2003 10:53:13 -0600

Philip Edelbrock wrote:

> FYI- The chip used in the particular laptops had a faulty state machine
> for interpreting I2C bus commands.  Under certain circumstances, the
> chip would interpret commands meant for other chips as a command for
> it's self to write data to it's memory.  IBM doesn't use the chip any
> more (the AT24RF08, if I remember correctly), but it's still a problem
> with old hardware. :'(
>
> Newer distros should begin to carry newer versions of lm-sensors which
> detects for potentially vulnerable IBM hardware and disable it's self.>
> Phil
>
> James Mckenzie wrote:
>
>> Andrey:
>>
>> The problem with lm sensors is that it attempts to read the BIOS EPROM
>> and messes it up.

Do you know what version of lm-sensors has that fix, and has it been verified
that it in fact, works?  I'm using RH 8.0 here.  I tried to uninstall the
lm-sensors rpm per a previous post's suggestion and it failed due to a KDE
dependancy.
--
  After Armageddon, there will be only three things left: Kudzu vines creeping
  over the ruins, Cockroaches feasting on the blackened ashes, and somewhere