[ltp] Starting over: A21e+port replicator

Mon, 6 Jan 2003 13:14:53 +0100

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 06:50:55 -0500, Tod Harter wrote:
> On Monday 06 January 2003 03:49 am, Tino Keitel wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll go even further and state that LILO is one of the best boot managers
> > > there is, period. It can boot all known OSes AFAIK. I wouldn't WANT
> > > anything
> >
> > LILO can load a Linux kernel _or_ a boot sector of any device. Not
> > more, not less. It doesn't cares about the OS if it is not a Linux
> > kernel. GRUB can do much more for you here.
> >
> Which is exactly what any other boot manager can do... GRUB really goes well
> beyond the traditional functionality of a boot loader, but unless you're
> developing a new OS or something along those lines the only feature you'd
> ever likely use would be the edit mode for boot entries, which is pretty
> nice. So I guess in that sense GRUB is better than LILO. There was a time
> when LILO had other deficiencies and GRUB was clearly the best choice, but it
> seems they're pretty much on a par nowadays for ordinary use.

LILO can only access files via fixed block lists. A nice feature of
GRUB is the ability to access filesystems, which makes life a lot
easier. :-)

I liked LILO very much, but once I tried GRUB, I never touched LILO
again.

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG