[ltp] A30P Questions

Matthias Posseldt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 22:10:59 +0100

On Monday 06 January 2003 21:01, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
[...]
> On Monday 06 January 2003 14:57, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> > On Monday 06 January 2003 13:45, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
[...]
> > On Monday 06 January 2003 12:24, Matthias Posseldt wrote:
> > > On Monday 06 January 2003 16:49, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
[...]
> > > Which drivers and X version do you use? What's the exact settings.
> > > Are you using the framebuffer device on boot or DRI?
> >
> > The command $> X  -showconfig displays the following data:
> > XFree 86 Version 11. revision 0 vender release 6600)
> > Dated 3 September 2002
> > Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.18-23mdkenterprise i686 [ELE]
> >
> > The Vidio Card is set to: ATI Raydon
> > The Monitor is set to: Flat Panel (gneric) 1024x768
> > The resolution is set to: 1024x768
> > The display is set to 3D Animation (I think)

Ok, althought you cut the first line from X's output, it's XFree 4.2.1,
according to the release date. That *should* not cause problems. Are there
any error messages in the X log files?

And do you use the framebuffer? Do you have a 80x25 console or is it bigger
or do you have a graphical logo while booting?

I had problems using the radeon framebuffer and X. So I disabled the fb
device in the kernel (maybe you can use a kernel option vga=xxx while
booting) and since then X starts nicely. Maybe you can even configure this
with Mandrake's tools, but I don't know since I had MDK only installed for
a day or two.

> > > Do you have "Auto-configure hostname" enabled in KPPP? Then please
> > > disable it in the account settings tab.
> >
> > No that was and is not enabled if you are refering to the one I found
> > under the tab accounts, edit (account) then Ip. If not sorry I lost
> > you here.

Yes, it's the check box I referred to. Hmm, you have the same problem here
as someone on the LinuxGazette Mailing List recently. We came to no
solution there. But this is not a ThinkPad problem, I would suggest.

[... KMail problems ...]

I can't help you with these at present. But maybe you want to check for
updates of Mandrake's KDE version or search the KDE mailing lists at
http://lists.kde.org/

Ciao, Matthias

--
"If liberty means anything at all,