[ltp] Installing linux, fear of lm_sensors

Mon, 06 Jan 2003 21:25:23 +0000

Vivek wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, M. Leo Cooper wrote:
>

>>Saturday, January 4, 2003, 10:53:13 AM, Jim wrote:
>>

>>>I tried to uninstall the lm-sensors rpm per a previous post's
>>>suggestion and it failed due to a KDE dependancy.
>>
>>You don't actually need to uninstall the rpm. Just delete the files in
>>/lib/modules/2.4.X/kernel/drivers/sensors. Then, KDE will think lm-sensors is
>>still installed, but lm-sensors can't run because the kernel modules are
>>missing.
>

> And next time you update your system, the binaries will appear again,
> and then one day when you least expect it: >bang<. It's better to remove
> the package. Lying to your package management system can only end in
> tears, best not to do it... :)

If you are going to do violent things to kernel directories, then you
could always try making the binaries chmod 000, and the directory chmod
555. That means that your system will never be able to execute the
files, but will have some difficulty in replacing them!

You could always do both - belt and braces.

Richard