[ltp] Hibernate Partitions on R32?

Tue, 7 Jan 2003 09:11:07 +0100

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 10:26:42 -0800, Greg Herlein wrote:
> I have a new R32 Thinkpad that I've installed SuSE 8.0
> on.  Everything seemed to work on SuSE 8.0 except that the
> wireless drivers were old and wrong with SuSE.
>
> I manually upgraded to the stock 2.4.20 kernel to be able to use
> current wireless stuff.  I'll post findings later on what I had
> to do to get everything working.  I do have sound, onboard
> ethernet, X etc working.  Have not played with the modem yet.
> USB works fine too, though it has not been extensively tested.
>
> The special keys are not working at the moment: but I have not
> tried to get the thinkpad modules compiled and runnign yet
> either.
>
> When I did the install I blew away the XP and IBM partitions and
> let linux have the whole thing.  Hibernate seems to work OK for
> me though - I close the lid and it sleeps, and it wakes up when I
> open the lid again.

Hibernation is not just sleeping - the machine will save the contents
of RAM and graphics memory to disk and switch off completely. If you
resume after hibernation, you will have to wait a while because the the
machine reloads the memory contents from the hard disk. This will take
a couple of seconds with less RAM and a fast hard disk or a few minutes
with a few hundred megabytes of RAM and a slow hard disk.

If you blew away all Windows partitions, I doubt that your machine is
able to hibernate, because a FAT16 or FAT32 (or NTFS?) partition is
needed for the hibernation file.

> The question is, do I lose some functionality by not having the
> special partition?  I suppose that the R32 is keeping ram alive,
> which of course is more power than if it could just sluff it all
> off to disk and power down all memory.

You just can not hibernate the machine, which is bad if you want to do
it. :-)

> Comments welcome.
>
> Greg

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG