[ltp] T23: Booting with different Ultrabay devices

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 18:21:58 -0500

Well, you have a slew of problems here really.

1st is the issue of the kernel startup parameters. 2 things about that th=
ough:=20
1) if you have just a CD-ROM drive and not a burner you should NOT need t=
he=20
ide-scsi parameter. You only need that for ATAPI support and just reading=
=20
disks doesn't require ATAPI. 2) you MAY be able to do this dynamically an=
yway=20
if you properly modularize your kernel, but I'm really not 100% sure abou=
t=20
it.=20

On Monday 06 January 2003 02:53 pm, Jim Haungs wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get Linux (I have Redhat 8.0) to boot without
> having to tell it in advance what's in the UltraBay?
>
> I have a second hard disk with a Linux partition on it, as well as a CD=
-ROM
> drive. The CD requires hdc=3Dide-scsi on the kernel command line; the h=
ard
> disk requires this parameter to be absent.
>
> If I boot with the ide-scsi option and the 2nd hard drive is present
> instead, the hard drive is not seen.
>
> So I have grub set up with two different boots to the same kernel, with=
 and
> without the command line parameters, and I have to shutdown and reboot =
> change devices.
>
> Of course, this also prevents me from easily mounting and dismounting t=
> hot-switch the devices, as the kernel support is incorrect for one or t=
he
> other device.
>
> Any suggestions?

--=20