[ltp] Thinkpad 600x and IRQ sharing

Philipp Drewes linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 01:46:46 +0100 (CET)

Hello,
I'm facing a problem with the IRQ assignment. On my system
IRQ 11 ist shared among serveral resources while others are not in use at
all.

frankfurt:~ # cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:     299909          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       1166          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          3          XT-PIC  rtc
 11:       1290          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, i82365, CS46XX, eth0
 12:         51          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:       5142          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          9          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:         43

I've been trying to find a way to assign IRQ 5 to the Soundcard without
luck. I read the Plug-and-Play HOWTO and found out, that in the case
of Linux being the OS the BIOS has to do the resource assignment to the
devices. So I set it to Quick Boot off.

I tried to change the resourses with the setpci utility but it is only
vaild for the current session (as far as I know now due to the change not
effecting the BIOSes ESCD)

On the tpctl hompage I found a hint to set the audio resources with the
setpnp command. To you this one needs to know the node
number which I don't have for the sound device. I'm not too sure if it
would help me anyway as the lspnp output is as follows

frankfurt:~ # lspnp
00 PNP0000 system peripheral: programmable interrupt controller
01 PNP0200 system peripheral: DMA controller
02 PNP0100 system peripheral: system timer
03 PNP0b00 system peripheral: real time clock
04 PNP0800 system peripheral: other
05 PNP0303 input device: keyboard
06 IBM3780 input device: mouse
07 PNP0c04 system peripheral: other
08 PNP0700 mass storage device: floppy
09 PNP0a03 bridge controller: PCI
0a PNP0c02 system peripheral: other
0b PNP0400 communications device: AT parallel port
0d PNP0501 communications device: RS-232
0e IBM0071 communications device: other
0f PNP0e03 bridge controller: PCMCIA
12 PNP0680 mass storage device: IDE
14 PNP0680 mass storage device: IDE
16 PNP0c02 system peripheral: other

and does not tell anything about multimedia.

I also tried to use the PS2.EXE utility. But it won't tell me anything
about audio settings either.

Does it only show these settings on TP 600? Are those notebooks still
having an ISA bus that can be configured directy assiging resources to
devices and the TP 600x has only PCI hardware?

Thanks for any kind of help.

- ----
- -      ,,,,,
- -      /'^'\                 Viele Liebe Grüße, Phili
- -  .oooO               Philipp Drewes, http://phili.bonu.de
- -  (   )   Oooo.         phili@bonu.de, sillyphili@gmx.de
- -

Linux is like a wigwam: no Windows, no Gates and Apache inside.
(unknown)