[ltp] externe Festplatte über PCMCIA

Matthias Posseldt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 18:27:55 +0100

Hi list, hi Jens,

Jens, bitte poste auf die Liste in Englisch. Ich hab daher auch deine
e-Mail ins Englische übersetzt und auf Englisch geantwortet.

A short summary for those who don't speak German:
Jens tries to connect a external IDE hard drive (in a Argosy housing) to
his notebook via a PCMCIA card.

The hard drive is recognized after inserting the card but there is no entry
in /etc/fstab which he can use to mount/umount the drive. The hard drive
is only data storage, he doesn't want to boot from it.

On Thursday 09 January 2003 23:29, Jens Westphalen wrote:
> möchte eine zweite IDE-Festplatte per PCMCIA-Karte (ext.
> Festplattengehäuse von Argosy) mit meinem NB verbinden. Wenn ich die
> PCMCIA-Karte einstecke wird sie auch erkannt, jedoch fehlt mir noch der
> Eintrag in der fstab, damit ich auch dann mounten und Daten
> auslesen/verschieben kann. Welche Einträge und weitere Vorgehensweise
> ist denn erforderlich?

After mounting the PCMCIA subsystem can run scripts that perform
initialisation and other tasks. You most certainly want to use either a
scripted solution which modifies /etc/fstab each time, or you may want to
use an automounter device (while I'm not sure whether this works).

It's mostly the same procedure as configuring an USB hard drive which also
provides hot plugging.

> Die Festplatte soll nur als Datensicherung
> dienen, kein geplanter Bootvorgang! Da ich mich noch als Linux-Newbie
> bezeichne, wäre eine recht ausführliche Beschreibung für mich sehr
> hilfreich!! ;)

Maybe you can post some more information on this topic, the version of your
Linux distribution, etc. E.g. for SuSE there is excellent documentation in
their support database http://sdb.suse.de/ and also a suse-laptop mailing
list and archive. Since this problem is not specific to ThinkPads you may
find an answer there too.

Ciao, Matthias

--
"If liberty means anything at all,