[ltp] T21 pcmcia hell

Dan Sawyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:08:40 -0800

--------------060505080900060506020306

I am sorry to jump in the middle:

I am using a locally compiled 2.4.20 kernel with pcmcia support on in
the kernel as well as wlan support turned on. I also have the pcmcia-cs
rpm installed. I require pcmcia-cs for a linksys card and it all works.

I am not sure about the rpm deps for pcmcia and if you have a reason to
recompile pcmcia-cs. If you can run with the rpm features this may be a
way out.

Dan

Manolis Stamatogiannakis wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Tino Keitel wrote:
>

>>IIRC ds.o is the PCMCIA support contained in the pcmcia-cs package,
>>whereas the kernel PCMCIA support is done by a module called yenta.o.
>>It looks like you pcmcia installation wants to use its own ds.o but you
>>use kernel PCMCIA.
>>

>Hmmmm...
>I did what pcmcia-cs package instructs me to do:
> -disable pcmcia support in kernel
> -enable wlan
> -disable wlan drivers under network devices
>
>I recompilled & installed the kernel & reinstalled pcmcia-cs package.
>
>Now when I start pcmcia (/etc/init.d/pcmcia start) I get:
>/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not
>permitted. Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
>parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ.
>
>And then:
>/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/pcmcia/ds.o: insmod ds failed
>
>dmesg reports:
>Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.2.1
> kernel build: 2.4.19-gentoo-r10 #4 Mon Jan 13 ...
>ds: no socket drivers loaded!
>
>What am I doing wrong?
>
>On my kernel config file, CONFIG_PCMCIA is not set, CONFIG_HOTPLUG is set,
>and on Wireless Lan block of definitions only CONFIG_NET_RADIO and
>CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS are set.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Manolis
>

>>Regards,
>>Tino
>>
>>--
>>tino.keitel@innominate.com
>>dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG
>>software engineer                                   networking people
>>tel: +49.30.6392-3308                      http://www.innominate.com/
>>--

--------------060505080900060506020306

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
I am sorry to jump in the middle:<br>
I am using a locally compiled 2.4.20 kernel with pcmcia support on in the
kernel as well as wlan support turned on. I also have the pcmcia-cs rpm installed.
I require pcmcia-cs for a linksys card and it all works. <br>
I am not sure about the rpm deps for pcmcia and if you have a reason to recompile
pcmcia-cs. If you can run with the rpm features this may be a way out.<br>
Dan<br>
Manolis Stamatogiannakis wrote:<br>
 cite="midPine.GSO.4.50.0301131606350.27133-100000@charon.csd.uch.gr">
  <pre wrap="">
    <pre wrap="">IIRC ds.o is the PCMCIA support contained in the pcmcia-cs package,
whereas the kernel PCMCIA support is done by a module called yenta.o.
It looks like you pcmcia installation wants to use its own ds.o but you
use kernel PCMCIA.

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Hmmmm...
I did what pcmcia-cs package instructs me to do:
 -disable pcmcia support in kernel
 -enable wlan
 -disable wlan drivers under network devices

I recompilled &amp; installed the kernel &amp; reinstalled pcmcia-cs package.

Now when I start pcmcia (/etc/init.d/pcmcia start) I get:
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not
permitted. Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ.

And then:
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/pcmcia/ds.o: insmod ds failed

dmesg reports:
Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.2.1
 kernel build: 2.4.19-gentoo-r10 #4 Mon Jan 13 ...
ds: no socket drivers loaded!

What am I doing wrong?

On my kernel config file, CONFIG_PCMCIA is not set, CONFIG_HOTPLUG is set,
and on Wireless Lan block of definitions only CONFIG_NET_RADIO and
CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS are set.

Thanks in advance,
Manolis

  </pre>