[ltp] 770Z And Xircom PCMCIA NIC Problem

Jim Harvey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:34:42 -0600

John Tilp wrote:
> Trying to get a Xircom CE3-10/100 PCMCIA Ethernet card to work
> on a 770Z. The card seems to be recognized - two beeps when
> booting, no errors in /var/log/messages, card is listed in
> /var/lib/pcmcia/stab as:
>
> Xircom CE3-10/100 Fast Ethernet  0  network xirc2ps_cs  0  eth0
>
> and eth0 shows up as started when I /sbin/ifconfig but:
>   a) the light on the hub (switch) never comes on
>   b) when I ping 192.168.1.1 (known working host) the LED
>      on the dongle blinks but "Destination Host Unreachable"
>
> Distro is RH 7.2 with kernel 2.4.7-10 and the card does work
> booting into another OS. Where can I learn more about what's
> going wrong?

Does the route command show a default route?
--
  After Armageddon, there will be only three things left: Kudzu vines creeping
  over the ruins, Cockroaches feasting on the blackened ashes, and somewhere