[ltp] Re: does not wake up after sleep

George Yanos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:19:59 -0600

I'm not sure I have the IBM jargon exactly right, so let me define
myself:

software blanking, as in a screen saver or blank screen

hardware blanking, as in a green monitor, where power is dropped only
to the display.

suspend, as in Fn-F4, the turning off of the machine more or less
completely, with justs enough power to save the state.

hibernation, which is Fn-F12, similar to suspend but the full state is
also saved to disk.  (As far as I know, this isn't compatible with a
fully linux/unix file system.)

The problem, as it happens to me and as I think it happens to Katsumi:

I leave the machine.  Time passes.  The screen saver kicks in.

More time passes.  The hardware blanking turns off the backlight and
stops sending informaiton to the screen.

More time passes.  I return.

Press a key, diddle the mouse, whatever,

The backlight comes on.  The screen remains blank and rather dark.
Not off, but there is no information being sent to the video card,
just a black screen with a bit of back light squeezing through.

Nothing I've tried moves it beyond this situation, keys, mouse,
alt-keys, and so on, all ineffective, except

Press Fn-F4 and, usually, the machine suspends, turns everything off,
and turns on the little moon icon on the light bar.

Now, press anything and it comes back.  Usually.  Everynow and then it
freezes and requires a reboot.  Someday I'm going to loose a bit more
than having to delete mail two times.

Finally, it has nothing to do with cycling the monitor and external
video port.  That still works as you'd expect, except that the screen
has no image, just dim backlight.

It seems to me to be an issue which involves software not being aware,
or not reacting properly, to news that the machine has been activated
again.  the hardware parts seem to work.

I think that the wireless card, the built in one I've not got to work
yet, and the orinoco pcmcia card that does work, may have a hand in
this, but I've no proof at all.

Anybody with a suggestion, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks.

    Dirk> On 01/10/2003 03:42 PM, Katsumi Matsumoto wrote:
    >> It seems indeed that my T30 screen fails to unblank.  I am not quite sure
    >> what is entailed in your suggested solution though.  Do I need to disable
    >> apmd and install a suspend software (i.e., download something like swsusp
    >> and recompile the kernel)?  Right now, I've installed RH8 with kernel
    >> version 2.4.18.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help,
    >> -Katsumi
    >>
    >> On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, George Yanos wrote:
    >>
    >>> If his problem matches mine, also with a T30, it isn't hibernating
    >>> that is the issue, it is just that screen blanking fails to unblank.
    >>> The way I get around it, so far, is to force a hibernation (suspend
    >>> without a disk image) and then wake it up.
    >>>
    Dirk> Have you tried Fn+F7? Sometimes I get a blank screen on my A22m (and
    Dirk> very rarely on my T21 at work), display "cycling" via Fn+F7 usually does
    Dirk> the trick there...

* George Yanos     *                                                *
* UTC at UIC       *                                                *
* 312-413-0059(w)  *                                                *
* 708-848-4221(h)  *                                                *
* gyanos@uic.edu   *                                                *