[ltp] Re: apt on Red Hat 8

Vivek linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:46:31 +0000 (GMT)

[snip]
> >Have you tried updating the package list for apt?
> >I can't remember the command off-had but it's something like "apt-get
> >update"
> >
> apt-get install

Not quite:
 'apt-get update'       _updates_ the package availability list, which is
                        ( I think ) what was being asked about.
 'apt-get upgrade'      upgrades all available packages that don't involve
                        "difficult" transitions.
 'apt-get dist-upgrade' upgrades everything, and is willing to
                        install/remove/temporarily-break stuff to do so.
 'apt-get install <X>'  installs the latest version of <X>, asking you
                        if there are extra dependencies/conflicts/etc.
 'apt-get remove'       removes stuff.