[ltp] PS/2 mouse and trackpoint

j.j.green linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:30:01 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks Richard, this was spot on

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Richard Neill wrote:

> I recall, on an older thinkpad (760) that
>
> a) the external mouse had to be plugged in before power on if it was to
>    be detected (whereas my A22p will do hotplug)
>
> b) there is a bios setting for
>    - always use internal
>    - try to use both
>    - auto disable (ie, disable internal if external is there)

For the archive:

To set up an older thinkpad to use an external PS/2
mouse as well as the trackpoint

- obtain and install the appropriate ps2.exe from IBM
  (you will need to be able to dual boot into DOS)

- reboot into DOS

- run

    ps2 tpo ?

  to get the trackpoint status

- run

    ps2 tpo enable

  to enable the trackpoint and mouse

- If you boot into linux with the external mouse attatched
  then it will be enabled -- you can then remove/resinsert
  it as desired. The trackpoint will work either way

Again, thanks

-j
--
J. J. Green,  Dept. Applied Mathematics, F40, Hicks Bld.,
Hounsfield Rd.,  University of Sheffield,  Sheffield, UK.