[ltp] tpctl

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:06:27 +0100

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 12:57:08 +0000, Chris Wallace wrote:
> I have inherited a ThinkPad i-series, running (slackware 8.0) linux,
> which I am very happy with.
>
> However, I would like to let my thinkpad hibernate, but reading
> http://tpctl.sourceforge.net/tpctlhome.htm, I find:
>
> `I recommend keeping a DOS partition on your hard drive large enough
> to hold some version of DOS, your hibernation file and a copy of the
> ThinkPad utilities for DOS.'
>
> My Thinkpad contains no dos (or windows) partition and no PS2.EXE
> file.  Before I start trying to install tpctl, I wanted to ask if it
> would work _without_ DOS and PS2.EXE?  The tpctl homepage does not
> make this clear.  If not, how should I go about obtaining these?

To be able to use hibernation, you need a FAT partition which is at
least as large as the RAM size plus the video memory size, so you don't
really need a DOS on your hard disk, only a FAT partition. PS2.exe lets
you check and change some configuration options that tpctl does not
support, so it is a good idea to have it on the hard disk. However, you
can also install it on a floppy if you don't need it very often.

Regards,
Tino