[thinkpad] [ltp] tpctl

JC WOODWARD linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:38:10 -0500

Chris Wallace:

>I wanted to ask if it would work _without_ DOS and PS2.EXE?  The tpctl homepage
does not make this clear.  If not, how should I go about obtaining these?

No, I'm afraid not.  Hibernation is an IBM hardware, not operating system,
fuction.  That is, the hardware expects to be able to find a DOS partition and
FAT in order to locate the hibernation storage file.  PS2.EXE can enable it or
disable it, but when you press Fn+F12, the hardware just goes into auto pilot
and saves its main memory and video memory to disk.  This is fortunate, because
it will work, even if you happen to be running Linux at the time.

You don't need Windows.  Just get an old DOS diskette or a Windows emergency
boot diskette to boot from.  You don't even have to make the DOS partition
bootable.  Just run PS2 from the diskette and tell it to use the DOS partition
for hibernation.  If you do run SYS to make the partition bootable you may have
to reinstall GRUB/LILO to restore the boot record and seup a dual boot for
DOS/Linux.

As an aside, a review of the archive of this list will reveal that hibernation
and PCMIA don't mix very well.  My experience on an uncomplicated system with
only internal devices is that it works very reliably.

Where to get PS2:

The IBM website has a definitive table of bios versions and downloadable images,
as well as all the (Windows) device drivers and all the Thinkpad utility
software (like PS2.EXE).

for the entire TP 600 series:

http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/DSHY-3TLQ2L.html?lang=en_US&page=brand&brand=roo
t&doctype=&subtype=Cat

You'll have to explore a bit to find the download archive page for your own
particular Thinkpad  model.   Late versions of PS2 work for all models, I
believe.

Regards,

JC Woodward