[ltp] Help for a newbie

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:02:24 -0600

Jim Redmond wrote:

> I can definitely understand the allure of rolling your own kernel -
> that's one of Linux's great strengths. But I'll also have to repeat
> Jon's question - why the 2.4 series?

Because 2.4.x has better performance (in most respects) than 2.2?
Because 2.4.x-ac has kernel PNP support so there's no need for booting
into DOS and running PS2.EXE just to change (most) hardware settings?
Because I want to use netfilter (iptables) and not the obsolete ipchains
for filtering my network?
Because 2.4.x has better support for some of my outboard hardware?
Because Debian stable (woody) is 2.4.x ready, and kernel-package makes
building a kernel easy, so why not?
Because file system support and performance is much better in 2.4.x?

On that last one, time the deletion of a directory containing hundreds
of files under 2.2.x, then do the same under 2.4.x. Sure, if you don't
do this kind of thing you might not ever notice, but if you do the
serveral hundred percent increase in deletion speed alone will make it
worth compiling a 2.4.x kernel.

The real question is, at this stage, why stick to 2.2 if you are capable
of compiling your own kernel?

wes