[ltp] Help for a newbie

Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:53:59 +0100

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 22:29:26 +0100, Fekete Gabor wrote:

> > You need to provide us some more information before we can help.  Did you
> > compile a modular or monolithic kernel?  What does your kernel config file
> > look like?  Why did you feel the need to slap a 2.4 series kernel on Debian;
> > was it for hardware support, or just because you felt the need?  Some more
> > info would be appreciated.
>
> OK! Here is some more info :
> First of all. This is a freshly installed debian (stable) system.
> I installed it over the net with the pcmcia ethernet card using dhcp.
> I would like to use a modular 2.4.20 kernel. I have compiled the modules
> ds.o i82365.o pcmcia_core.o  tcic.o  yenta_socket.o

IIRC, ds.o is the PCMCIA socket driver provided by pcmcia-cs. This will
work without PCMCIA support compiled into the kernel. It is a
standalone solution that was necessary before 2.4 kernels since there
wasn't any kernel pcmcia support at all. The yenta_socket.o module is
the PCMCIA socket driver provided by the kernel. As both socket drivers
want to grab the same hardware, you can not mix them. Either enable
PCMCIA support in the kernel configuration and use yenta.o, or disable
all PCMCIA stuff in the kernel configuration and use the drivers
provided by the pcmcia-cs package. Remember to recompile the pcmcia-cs
package if you change your kernel configuration.

[...]

> ok. and here is the boot message i get for the pcmcia :
>
> apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16)
> Starting advanced power management daemon: apmd.
> Starting mouse interface server: gpm.
> Starting internet superserver: inetd.
> Starting printer spooler: lpd.
> Starting PCMCIA services: modulesLinux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22
>   Intel PCIC probe: not found.
>   /lib/modules/2.4.20/pcmcia/i82365.o: init_module: No such device
>   Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
>   ds: no socket drivers loaded!
>   /lib/modules/2.4.20/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not permitted
>   Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
>    cardmgr.

What does lsmod say? If the yenta_socket.o module is loaded, ds.o will
fail. However, it is not needed in this case.

I would suggest you to recompile and install the kernel. Since you are
using Debian, you can install kernel-package to do that. Go to you
kernel source tree and type "fakeroot make-kpkg kernel_image". You will
have a neat kernel-image-<your kernel version>.deb file in the parent
directory, which you can install into on your Debian system. After
that, install the pcmcia-source package, unpack the tarball in
/usr/src, go to the kernel source tree and type "make-kpkg
modules_image". This will create a "pcmcia-modules" package or a
"kernel-pcmcia-modules" package (depending on your kernel
configuration), which you can install on your Debian system.

Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG