[ltp] Hotplugging USB Keyboard

Tom Rockwell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:24:06 -0500

Sorry I don't have a complete answer, but on my RedHat machines (7.3 and
8.0), I've never had to do anything to use a USB keyboard (sometimes, I
do have to plug it in twice to get it going).  Also, RedHat doesn't
configure the usbkbd module; it's not in the kernel at all (I just
checked the RH kernel config).  I think that the base USB drivers along
with keybdev are all that is needed, and that with this config the USB
keyboard appears to the system just as the regular keyboard does.  There
is no seperate device for the USB keyboard and no special X11
configuration is needed.

If you use the usbkbd module, does the USB keyboard show up as a
seperate device which does have to be configured?

Hope this helps or somebody else can provide a more complete answer.

-Tom