[ltp] Hotplugging USB Keyboard

Tom Rockwell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:24:26 -0500

Hi again,

I'm really not an expert on this, but USB keyboards are supposed to
"just work" with the regular keyboard module (keybdev) and the basic USB
modules (usbcore, your controller driver, etc.).  RedHat doesn't put the
usbkbd module in the distro's kernels.

When I was looking into getting a USB keyboard, I did some googling to
figure out how to configure it, there isn't much info on configuring
them, simply because, in a standard kernel setup, they "just work".

Anyways, the only thing I can suggest is to try it without the usbkbd
module - e.g. find the usbkbd.o file, hide it by renaming to something
like usbkbd.o-hide, run "depmod -a", and see if the keyboard works.  If
this doesn't work, put the usbkbd.o file back where it was and do a
"depmod -a" again.

Cheers,
Tom