[ltp] Thinkpad 600 and maximising RAM with success

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:46:22 -0600

Daniel Schmidt wrote:

>Hi List,
>
>as Notebook S0-Dimms (SDRAM) are quite cheap at the moment, i tried to upgrade my Thinkpad 600 (2645-510) from 224 MB to 288MB, which is the maximum of RAM for that model.

I've been doing something similar recently for my 600E.  It has the same
memory arrrangement as the 600: 32MB onboard, and two slots that can
have a maximum of 128MB in each, all PC-66.  When I received the 600E it
had a 64MB PC-66 and a 32MB PC-66, for a total of 128MB with the onboard
32MB.  I swapped the 32MB PC-66 with a 64MB PC-100 SODIMM that came out
of a newer Thinkpad to get 160MB and all was well.  Recently I bought
two generic 128MB PC-100 modules.  When I installed them the initial
screen would show 288MB but the computer would freeze at that point, so
I put the old modules back in.  When I read Daniel's message about one
slot needing to be PC-66 I tried swapping the 64MB PC-100 with one of
the new 128MB PC-100 modules.  This time it booted, but Linux soon
oopsed!  I rebooted with a memtest-86 floppy and sure enough, got many
errors starting at the 32MB point.  I swapped the 128MB PC-100 for the
other 128 MB PC-100 module I had, but same story.  I put the 64MB PC-100
module back in and now memtest-86 reports no errors.  The working 64MB
PC-100 SODIMM is marked as being CL-2, and I bet that the generic 128MB
modules are CL-3 and that's why they fail the memory tests.

Moral of the story:  Not all memory is created equal, so ALWAYS run
memtest-86 after changing memory.

I already have a pair of 128MB PC-66 CL-2 modules on order from Crucial
and while I have never had a problem with Crucial memory I will
definitely have memtest-86 do its tests just to be sure.

wes