[ltp] Thinkpad 600 and maximising RAM with success

Romel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:58:07 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Daniel Schmidt wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> as Notebook S0-Dimms (SDRAM) are quite cheap at the moment, i tried to upgrade my Thinkpad 600 (2645-510) from 224 MB to 288MB, which is the maximum of RAM for that model.

I've upgraded the RAM on my 600E (2645-5AU) successfully to 352MB.
IBM has documented that 288MB is the maximum, but one of their BIOS
releases (I forget which one) includes support for 256MB DIMM's.
I'm running RH 8.0 with no problems and no tweaks were required to
recognize the full RAM amount.

For research I followed the thread "[600E] 256MB Part RAM Memory Usage"
(http://zurich.ai.mit.edu/hypermail/thinkpad/2002-01/1058.html) from
January 2002 on the ThinkPad Mailing List Archive
(http://zurich.ai.mit.edu/hypermail/thinkpad/)

FYI, here's my RAM setup:
256MB DIMM from Crucial, Crucial Part # CT184910, ~75 USD
64MB DIMM from IBM (sorry, no  part number with me), already installed
32 MB on-board

I've thought about going for the gusto and adding another 256 MB, but I'd
rather spend that money on a bigger hard drive.

--
Romel