[ltp] USB memory pen

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:24:28 -0500

I would assume those pens act as a USB Storage device. That means that they're
essentially a removable drive as far as Linux is concerned. In Mandrake at
least you can access them right off your desktop.

Unfortunately, booting has nothing to do with the OS, beyond how do you
install a boot loader. Well, in the case of Linux its pretty easy to install
lilo or grub on the boot sector of your pen, but then you have the problem
that your PC BIOS would have to be smart enough to try to boot off it.... I
suspect thats where your problem lies. Either the BIOS can, or it cannot.

Now, you can still boot off the disk even so by setting up the boot loader on
your fixed hard drive properly. In other words grub installed on /dev/hda is
perfectly happy to boot an OS off /dev/sda1 (as an example). So if that works
for you then just go on in and edit your grub or lilo configuration
appropriately!

--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain