[ltp] USB memory pen

Pam Huntley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:25:24 -0500

Hi,

I've messed around with USB memory keys some, I assume the pens would work
the same.  What I found was some of them worked and some of them did not.
You should search the following page for the manufacturer, etc:

http://www.linux-usb.org/

On top of that, some of the keys that DID work, were not bootable, because
the manufacturer didn't make them to be that way.  Didn't quite understand
why, we just found with the same image, some were bootable, and some were
not.

On newer ThinkPads (I think this applies to the R31), in order to boot from
the USB key, you need to boot with it plugged in, and go into the bios (or
hit F12 while booting) in order to be able to select boot from the USB key.
I can't remember if it showed up as a USB floppy or not, but I definatley
remember it showed up as it's own option in the "boot from" menu,
underneath whatever the device category was.   You may need to update your
BIOS if you don't see this.

Of course, this was 6 months or so ago, so things may have improved some as
far as Linux drivers go....

Pam

|---------+--------------------------------------->
|         |           Gerard van Winssen          |
|         |           <gerard@vanwinssen.nl>      |
|         |           Sent by:                    |
|         |           linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-t|
|         |           hinkpad.org                 |
|         |                                       |
|         |                                       |
|         |           01/25/2003 06:46 AM         |
|         |           Please respond to           |
|         |           linux-thinkpad              |
|         |                                       |
|---------+--------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                           |
  |       To:       linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org                                                         |
  |       cc:                                                                                                 |
  |       Subject:  [ltp] USB memory pen                                                                      |
  |                                                                                                           |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi all,

Is there anyone who has been able to boot off A USB memory pen?
With the (win) utility that comes with the pen, you can do almost all the
things you can do with a normal H.D. such as farmat and make bootable.
Unfortunately the latter option doesn't work in W2K.
So I tried with cfdisk under linux to make the pen bootable without succes.

My TP R31 bios says it can boot from USB floppy drive.

In the meantime I made A bootable cd, with ps2 on it, but I can't write to
cd
offcourse.

TIA

--