[ltp] Booting an X30 off CompactFlash?

Paul Crowley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
29 Jan 2003 22:16:05 +0000

I just received an X30.  It has no CDROM or floppy drive and I don't
have USB ones, so I'm trying to work out how to boot it into Linux.

One option seems to be to make it boot over the net with PXE, but from
what I can tell that's pretty fraught, and it doesn't want to work
with my version 2 ISC DHCPd.

I wondered if it would be possible to use the CF slot to create a
bootable CF card and boot from that?  Has anyone done this, does the
X30 support it?  It offers a "boot from removable media" option, but
WinXP Pro won't let me create a bootable CF card at format time for
some reason.

thanks in advance,
--
  __  Paul Crowley