[ltp] X22 Battery life

Christoph Schmitz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:19:45 +0100

On Thursday 30 January 2003 13:54, Tino Keitel wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 12:46:29 +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 12:27, Tim Bates wrote:
> > > I dunno about the rest of it, but this one's generally not a
> > > good idea. When plugged into the mains, the battery acts as a
> > > large capacitor and filters out small spikes and surges in the
> > > power supply. While it may be okay for a short period if time,
> > > it is not reccommended to do this too often.
> >
> > Thought so, thanks.
> >
> > I had thought I read somewhere that you should not leave the
> > battery in whilst running on mains, or something.  There are too
> > many references on the web which contradict each other... :(
>
> My impression is that running without the battery is no problem,
> since the battery is not used when running on AC power. I think I
> would be a bad idea to run from battery even when the notebook is
> connected to AC power because the battery will die within a few
> months if you use the notebook as a desktop replacement every day.

Hi all,

here's my two cent on this: we're running quite a bunch of T2x in our=20
department, to the best of my knowledge all of them with the battery=20
in and AC connected much of the time. It certainly causes wear on the=20
batteries, but as far as I witness they still last a couple of years.

I don't know about running on mains without the battery, though...

Regards,
Christoph

--=20
-- Christoph Schmitz <cschm@REMOVEMEgmx.de>