[ltp] Re: Booting an X30 off CompactFlash?

Robert Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 06:33:22 -0800 (PST)

--0-63978075-1043937202=:42263

If you are trying to boot up XP, you should be using an XP boot image, not a Win98 image (I'm assuming NTFS). Here's links to bootable XP disk setup for both XP Home and XP Pro (you didn't state which version  you had):
For Home: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=E8FE6868-6E4F-471C-B455-BD5AFEE126D8
For Pro: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=55820EDB-5039-4955-BCB7-4FED408EA73F
I hope that this helps you out. These are setup boot floppies. If you only want to "kick start" an existing XP installation. You should be able to do that by copying the following files to your CF card: "boot.ini", "ntdetect.com", and "ntldr". Those three files loaded onto your card should get you in to the existing XP installation. The three files should come from the same version of XP that you are working with.
Good luck,
Rob Smith
 Paul Crowley <paul@ciphergoth.org> wrote:Paul Crowley
writes:
> I just received an X30. It has no CDROM or floppy drive and I don't
> have USB ones, so I'm trying to work out how to boot it into Linux.

Following up myself to say: I tried creating a bootable CF with Win98,
but it doesn't boot from it. I bought a 64Mb USB solid state disk
which specifically advertised itself as bootable, made it bootable
with Win98, it still boots into WinXP. Both times I pressed F12 and
selected "Removable devices" as the boot option. USB BIOS was
enabled. I even tried the "CD-ROM" setting.

The guy in the computer shop shop assured me that it would almost
certainly *not* boot from an external USB CDROM drive, despite the
presence of a "USB BIOS" setting in the BIOS. However, he turned out
not to know what a filesystem was, so I don't know if his word would
be reliable. He refused to let me try it, even though I had the
laptop and disk with me...

I am going quite mad watching this thing boot into XP when it is the
last thing I want it to boot into. Has anyone here succeded in making
an XP machine boot Linux on a machine without internal CD or floppy
drives? How did you do it?
--
__ Paul Crowley
\/ o\ sig@paul.ciphergoth.org

<P>If you are trying to boot up XP, you should be using an XP boot image, not a Win98 image (I'm assuming NTFS). Here's links to bootable XP disk setup for both XP Home and XP Pro (you didn't state which version&nbsp; you had):
<P>For Home: <A href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&amp;FamilyID=E8FE6868-6E4F-471C-B455-BD5AFEE126D8">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&amp;FamilyID=E8FE6868-6E4F-471C-B455-BD5AFEE126D8</A>
<P>For Pro: <A href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&amp;FamilyID=55820EDB-5039-4955-BCB7-4FED408EA73F">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&amp;FamilyID=55820EDB-5039-4955-BCB7-4FED408EA73F</A>
<P>I hope that this helps you out. These are setup boot floppies. If you only want to "kick start" an existing XP installation. You should be able to do that by copying the following files to your CF card: "boot.ini", "ntdetect.com", and "ntldr". Those three files loaded onto your&nbsp;card should get you in to the existing XP installation. The three files should come from the same version of XP that you are working with.
<P>Good luck,
<P>Rob Smith
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>Paul Crowley &lt;paul@ciphergoth.org&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Paul Crowley <PAUL@CIPHERGOTH.ORG>writes:<BR>&gt; I just received an X30. It has no CDROM or floppy drive and I don't<BR>&gt; have USB ones, so I'm trying to work out how to boot it into Linux.<BR><BR>Following up myself to say: I tried creating a bootable CF with Win98,<BR>but it doesn't boot from it. I bought a 64Mb USB solid state disk<BR>which specifically advertised itself as bootable, made it bootable<BR>with Win98, it still boots into WinXP. Both times I pressed F12 and<BR>selected "Removable devices" as the boot option. USB BIOS was<BR>enabled. I even tried the "CD-ROM" setting.<BR><BR>The guy in the computer shop shop assured me that it would almost<BR>certainly *not* boot from an external USB CDROM drive, despite the<BR>presence of a "USB BIOS" setting in the BIOS. However, he turned out<BR>not to know what a filesystem was, so I don't know if his word would<BR>be reliable. He refused to let me try it, even though I had the<BR>laptop and disk with me...<BR><BR>I am going quite mad watching this thing boot into XP when it is the<BR>last thing I want it to boot into. Has anyone here succeded in making<BR>an XP machine boot Linux on a machine without internal CD or floppy<BR>drives? How did you do it?<BR>-- <BR>__ Paul Crowley<BR>\/ o\ sig@paul.ciphergoth.org<BR>/\__/ http://www.ciphergoth.org/<BR>-- <BR>The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<BR>http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad</BLOCKQUOTE>
--0-63978075-1043937202=:42263--